Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Garlic-Infused Oil


Since I'm eating a lot of greens these days (in between the cupcakes and macarons), I've been working on different ways to cook them up, which often involves garlic. My garlic technique in the past has been of the press-and-sauté variety, but the lovely Food Network has brought me to this more subtle method: infusing oil with garlic flavor.

If one heats garlic too quickly, it is easy for it to become bitter, not to mention burned; infusing oil avoids the risk of bitterness and burning. The garlic flavor is less strong in this infusion method, making it appropriate for dishes that want just a hint of garlic: you simply heat a little olive or canola oil in a pan over medium heat, and throw a peeled garlic clove in the oil. I usually leave it for a while on one side, and then flip it over to the other side once it's browned a bit. And voilà, garlic-flavored oil! Should make the greens a little more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment