Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Crustless Vegetable Quiche


I've been eating this quiche all week and still haven't gotten tired of it; I think it's become one of my favorite egg dishes that I've made thus far. I got the recipe off the back of a soy cheese package and adapted it to the contents of my fridge, resulting in a healthy breakfast dish with nice body and flavor. This is a quick mix-and-bake recipe that yields a lot of servings, so enjoy the simple preparation and plentiful outcome! Vegetarian-, lactose intolerant-, low-carb-, and high-protein-friendly.


Crustless Vegetable Quiche


12 eggs
3 C nonfat plain yogurt
12 oz. shredded soy cheese or lowfat cheddar/jack cheese mix
5 slices high-fiber sandwich bread, de-crusted and cubed (I like Orowheat Double Fiber)
1 onion, diced
3 C vegetables, prepared as for stir fry (I used several types of kale)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T Italian seasoning mix (or any other seasoning mix you like)
sprinkling of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to preference

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish. Prepare the ingredients as listed. In a skillet on the stove top, pre-cook the onion and any tough vegetables (kale or other thick greens, etc. I would avoid broccoli in this vegetable mix, since it becomes overcooked and sulfuric quickly. Spinach, bell peppers, and mushrooms are examples of vegetables that do not need to be pre-cooked.).

Break all the eggs into a large mixing bowl and scramble them well. Stir in the yogurt, and then the remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Pour into baking dish and bake for 40-60 minutes. Dish is done when the center is set (not jiggly anymore) and top is starting to brown.

Experiment with different cheeses, vegetables, and seasoning (fresh herbs, anyone?) according to the season!

I've still got one more serving for my breakfast tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment