Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Toblerone Fondant Cake


Seeing as how I've watched Stranger than Fiction twice this week (which always reaffirms that baking for me equals happiness, love, and revolutionary principles), I figured I better start sharing the Sweet Foodie Love that often complements Valentine's Day. This recipe is the perfect decadent chocolate treat for the ones you love!

Said fondant cake came to my attention on a French food blog that I've started reading, Les Sucreries de Bulle. A fondant cake, unlike fondant icing that is used to coat cakes with a smooth finish, is somewhat like a molten chocolate cake's consistency in the middle when it comes out of the oven. The cake is baked more like a brownie than a cake - a knife or toothpick should come out moist with batter as below, not clean. Once the cake cools, its interior is smooth, dense, and creamy. When I first made this cake, I told myself that I had made the best chocolate cake of my life thus far.


And, not insignificantly, it gave me a chance to use my happy new red digital kitchen scale (thanks, PP!) which I have been employing as frequently as possible since Christmas. The amounts below are both in weight and volume measurements to accommodate your scale-status.



So buy some high-quality chocolate (it'll be worth it!) and get that double boiler out...

Toblerone Fondant Cake

30 g flour (1/4 C and 1 tsp)
150 g unsalted butter (1 cube & 3 T)
150 g sugar (3/4 C)
210 g dark chocolate (try to get 76% cacao Valrhona at Trader Joe's for affordable good quality)
150 g Toblerone
3 eggs

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Prepare an 8 inch round cake pan or springform pan by greasing it and lining it with parchment paper on the bottom. Melt your dark chocolate in a double boiler. Break the Toblerone into pieces (any size you like; big chunks if that's what you want!). Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the flour. Mix in the melted chocolate, and then add the Toblerone. Bake for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment