Sunday, January 11, 2009

Veggie Pizza Bowl


This recipe is something simple that will satisfy those who both love pizza and limit carbs - or are simply trying to get more vegetables into their diet. All you need to do is keep a few pizza ingredients in the freezer, and you can pull them out anytime for spur-of-the-moment pizza flavor without pizza crust!

This idea came to me in a post-holiday carb avoidance period when I was craving pizza. I had made myself my roasted cauliflower chicken salad, but it wasn't hitting the spot the way I hoped it would. But then it occurred to me - why not throw my favorite pizza flavors on the cauliflower salad? I liked it so much that I had it for three meals in a row...minus breakfast.

So, here's the items I prefer from Trader Joe's; you can add them to any roasted/steamed/baked/sautéed vegetable dish. It's a great way to spice up leftovers!


Veggie Pizza Bowl

a bowl of cooked vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, celery, onion, zucchini, green beans, etc.)
a few Tablespoons of pizza sauce
a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese
a few shakes of red pepper flakes
a thin slice of mozzarella cheese (or soy cheese, in my case)
4-5 slices of pepperoni (the Volpi brand at TJ's has nice thin slices that crisp up fast)

Layer the ingredients in a bowl in the order listed, increasing or decreasing the proportions to your preference (more veggies and less cheese equals a healthier bowl). Microwave for about two minutes. If you prefer to toast or broil this, you'll need to put everything in an oven-proof container.

No comments:

Post a Comment