Monday, September 22, 2008

Whole Wheat Beer Bread

I am in love with this bread. I've been meaning to make it for weeks with some leftover beer in the fridge, and finally got it together today. The ingredients are few, it only got one bowl dirty, and the aroma filled the apartment quickly. Once cooled, this slightly sweet, hearty bread had great flavor. I think I would even buy beer for the purpose of making this bread!

Whole Wheat Beer Bread
Based on this white beer bread recipe.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Sift together:
1/2 C all-purpose flour (try subbing whole wheat flour)
2 1/2 C whole wheat flour (King Arthur's White Whole Wheat is a nice, fine flour)

Mix in:
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 C sugar

Once the dry ingredients are well mixed, add:
1 (12-oz.) bottle of beer

Pour batter (should be foamy and thick, but light enough to stir well) into a greased or parchment paper-lined loaf pan.

Pour 3 T melted butter over the batter.
Bake for 1 hour, remove from pan and cool at least 15 minutes. See original recipe for notes on baking with non-alcoholic beer.

I decided to top it with a nutty honey butter, so I tossed some margarine, honey, walnuts, and a teeny touch of brandy into the food processor for a spin. Voilà! So good that I've gotta give half of the loaf to my neighbor...

No comments:

Post a Comment