Sunday, July 27, 2008

Euro Pane: Mmmmacarons!


As a little girl I loved a book called Take Tarts as Tarts is Passing, in which two brothers are advised to live their lives according to the axiom "take tarts as tarts is passing"; one brother interprets the phrase literally and grabs tarts and eats them any time he sees them, while the second brother takes the advice metaphorically and tries to take every economic opportunity that comes his way and work it to his advantage. I feel like I have been living my life like the first brother recently; I have been taking macarons as macarons is passing, and they've passed by twice this week!



This time my path brought me to Euro Pane Bakery in Pasadena (okay, fine, I slightly detoured my path to bring me this way), a place I've heard much about and have been meaning to try for some time. I already knew that I was going to choose a macaron to try, and when I heard the flavors there, I knew I had to choose the caramel with fleur de sel. The other macarons included hazelnut, pistachio, and orange, of which the pistachio was most tempting, but my recent caramel au fleur de sel marshmallows have me on a salty-sweet bent. I had to ignore some hand-made marshmallows at EuroPane this time, but I shall return for them another day.



I really enjoyed the flavor of the caramel with the fleur de sel, the cream in the middle was lickalicious, and the cookie retained a lightness in the midst of its chewiness that reminded me that I was, indeed, eating a macaron.

At the end of Take Tarts as Tarts is Passing, it is the brother who interprets the advice literally and eats tarts as they pass who is the happy brother - he has chosen to live life to the fullest by taking joy in the things that cross his path, rather than trying to force life to serve his purposes. A simple lesson, perhaps, but one which has brought me joy this week!

Ready to take tarts as tarts is passing?

Euro Pane Bakery
950 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106
626.577.1828

No comments:

Post a Comment