Friday, February 24, 2012

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee




If you have ever been intimidated by the process of making coffee, but enjoy iced coffee, this recipe is for you. Heck, if you just like coffee, this recipe is for you. Nothing could be simpler to make, yet it produces a super smooth, not bitter flavor (what's the opposite of bitter? I'm blanking...I'll just go with smooth).

I got into this recipe when I was in Israel two summers ago, sweating profusely during my 9 am trek to class. I would put out the coffee and water mixture at night, and in the morning stir up some of the coffee concentrate with water, ice, soy milk, and sweetener, thereby mustering up the courage to venture into the 90+ degree morning.

I realize that we find ourselves in February now, but in Los Angeles that means nearly 80 degree weather some days, so some of us can give this a chance. Or bookmark it for a warmer time in other climates. Or drink it in your warm home and imagine you are in a warmer place. No excuses to not make it, see?

Don't forget that this makes a coffee CONCENTRATE - it will be strong if you don't water it down as the recipe indicates. I opted for the new Starbucks Blonde roast, which is the one coffee of theirs that I have ever wanted to buy a whole pound of...smooth is again the adjective I'd choose for this roast. Whatever coffee you use, expect to experience slightly different notes in it with this method.


(the numbers on the measuring cup are supposed to be backwards - to read from above the cup!)


Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee
taken from smittenkitchen

Mix 1/3 C medium-coarse ground coffee with 1 1/2 C water. Leave in a covered container at room temperature overnight (8-12 hours, longer doesn't hurt).

Strain through a coffee filter, fine mesh strainer, or cheese cloth. In a tall glass filled with ice cubes, mix equal parts water and coffee concentrate, adding milk and/or sweetener as desired.

SO EASY! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment