Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lemon Garlic Hummus


A lot of people ask me if hummus is difficult to make, and what it is made of, so I say here to all of you: it is easy, and it is made of yummy ingredients. I love hummus because I enjoy its flavors and texture, but I also like that it is a healthy snack since it is high in fiber and protein while low in fat. If you find that it doesn't immediately appeal to you, try it in its homemade incarnation - good hummus had to grow on me over time, and now I can't get enough of it. Either as part of a Mediterranean spread or on its own, you can easily find ways to give this a home in your cooking repertoire. So here's what you need to make it yourself!

Lemon Garlic Hummus
Recipe adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Pictured above in upper right (tabbouleh on the left, chermoula on the bottom)

2 C canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
1/3 C tahini sauce
4 T lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
zest of one lemon
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 T liquid from chickpea cans, or water
8 dashes Tabasco
1 1/2 tsp. salt (sea salt if possible)

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. May be altered to include other ingredients to taste, including olives, bell peppers, and more. Serve chilled or room temperature with pita, veggies, crackers, etc.

Note:
A friend of mine has discovered a method to the ultimate smooth hummus which involves mixing the ingredients in an order that emulsifies the liquids, so I may feature that discovery at some point.

1 comment:

  1. That hummus was sooo good! It was probably the best hummus I've had in my life, but to have the complete experience you have to have Lisa's homemade pita with it. Will you post that too Isa?

    ReplyDelete